Thursday, September 24, 2009

On buying things...

My month of not buying anything ended on Sept 11 and was largely a success, despite a couple of slips (earbuds, magazine).  In fact, until yesterday, I maintained my own personal "no buy zone."  Yesterday, I received word regarding an upcoming show I was cast in and its wardrobe requirements, which provided me with a convenient excuse to go out and shop.  Moreover, having been a relative hermit in the past couple of weeks, I thought it would be good to get out of the house in people clothes (as opposed to pajamas) and interact with other human beings.

It's a sad day when I can barely manage to find one item at H&M and an even sadder day when Target holds little appeal.  I came home with three pieces of sale clothing and a downcast heart.  I priced out clothing in terms of food.  A cute top cost more than my entire grocery bill at the DeKalb Farmers' Market, so I put it back.  A dress was less, so I reluctantly bought it.  I envisioned the roasts and fresh asparagus and goat cheese that I could have purchased in its stead, but realized that I was in need of such a dress.  My pre-move purge effectively dumped the detritus of my closet but also swept up plenty of practical clothes in its path.  I needed the dress, but it was damn hard to buy.  Is shopping a muscle that atrophies with disuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment