Thursday, August 9, 2012

Love and loss

To be human is to master the art of losing...  Though we live in an incomparably connected society, there are still those amongst our friends who slip through the cracks.  We may be connected to the boy that we had an immense crush on when we were six years old and playing in the corn bin in nursery school, but we may lose touch with the person who laughed with us until we cried just last week over dinner.  We may feel lucky to walk inside our homes and lay hands on the people that we love the best in the world, but still feel a pang for comrades whose lives have drifted away from us over the years. 

This is what I will say about the friends that I still am connected to:  They are amazing.  They are changing the world.  They are strong.  They are facing challenges that are unfair.  They are incomparably filled with grace.  They are warriors.  They are an inspiration.

For those of my friends that I have lost over the years, I hope that your lives are filled with grace and peace.  Would that I would be so fortunate to reconnect with you again, sometime.  For those of my friends that I am still connected to, I promise, to the depth of my being, not to lose you.  You are remarkable and my life is infinitely richer for knowing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment