Sunday, July 26, 2009

First project: Photoshop!

First and foremost, thank you so much for the comments and suggestions for projects. As the title suggests, I am following Kim's recommendation that I teach myself Photoshop. Here's the blow by blow of my first day on my first project...

I have no idea if any of the computers in my house (I think there are five, total, including two laptops that were obsolete when God was a boy) actually have functional Photoshop software. I am so abysmally disconnected with my computer reality that I use my lovely new MacBook as a glorified typewriter. When a friend spent an evening noodling around on it, making a song in Garage Band and then played the result for me, I looked at him as if he had just farted dubloons. Magic.

In order to find some kind of Photoshop workspace, I turned to the internet and searched for "Free Photoshop" only to be directed to the world's most obvious source: photoshop.com. Duh. The free tools on the website are basic, but I played around with them on a photo I took of my husband. The original:










This was taken with my Pentax K100 film camera on St. Simon's Island. I liked it a lot. Then, I started screwing around with Photoshop and I came up with this:




NOW he looks like an album cover! Well, granted, an album cover circa 1993. But still! I DID something!







I will be continuing to piddle around with Photoshop because I saw what people can do with the program on the link Kim recommended (http://www.worth1000.com/) and it's WAY better than early grunge era album cover art. And I do not discount the other suggestions that have been proffered because they sound pretty cool. Especially substitute teaching. Once upon a time, I ran a youth literacy program and loved it. One of the perks of the job was asking the kids to call me "Miss Amy," which I thought made me sound a lot like a character from "Pee Wee's Playhouse." I'll have to wait until after I get a better handle on Photoshop and after I finish packing up my apartment, though!


So, guys, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment