Saturday, December 8, 2012

Culture Clash

I am currently in a production of "A Christmas Carol," which was exciting to me if only for the fact that I was finally in a show that my niece and nephews could come see.  They came to the show today and I took them on a backstage tour, telling them about the set, special effects, costumes, etc.  They were particularly interested in the ghosts.  They wanted to know how the Ghost of Christmas Past lit up (hidden lights in her cape and dress), were delighted to know that the actor who played the Ghost of Christmas Present keeps cookies at his dressing room station and that the Ghost of Christmas Future who was a seven foot tall spectre cloaked in black was actually played by a delightful, petite woman.  Everything was a wonder to them.  Awe was writ large on their faces.

As we were leaving the theatre, we passed a group of women in the lobby.  Two of them were wearing hajib in jewel tones and the third was in a full, black burqa.  My niece paused, tugged on my hand and pointed toward the woman in the burqa. "Auntie Amy, was she the Ghost of Christmas Future?"  After I finished stifling my laughter, we had a nice discussion about different religions and cultural practices.  I love my job.  I love being an auntie.

No comments:

Post a Comment