Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

I am a compulsive resolution maker.  I have stuck to a couple throughout the years -- one involving regular exercise and one involving regular journalling.  So, yeah...go, me!

I am loath to make resolutions this year because I realize that the very nature of my existence is so cattywumpus that my plans would inevitably wind up looking dumb.  "The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley."  That's by Robert Burns.  Who also wrote "Auld Lang Syne."  Guess he was bad at resolutions, too.

On January 1, 2012, if you had told me I would sing on top of the Cincinnati Reds' dugout, I wouldn't have believed you.  If you told me I'd get to meet a penguin, I wouldn't have believed you. If you said I'd get a free trip to Alaska, I wouldn't have believed you. If you said I was going to work fairly consistently throughout the year, I might have believed you a little bit, but that's still something an actor isn't prepared to take on faith.  So, if I make some plan NOW for what I should do THEN, I'll just feel bad when the carnival that is my life opens up a new side show for me and I don't get around to learning Portuguese.

I will, however, make one resolution that will be apocalyptically awesome if I can manage to pull it off, but will in no way hinder my happiness if I can't.  I resolve to stand in front of Michael Caine and get him to say "The Prestige" to me.  I will also record it and use it as my ringtone.

Happy New Year, you beautiful jerks.  Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment